LED vs. CFL — Which light bulb is more efficient? (Clean Technica)
- It depends. CFLs are unquestionable cheaper, but LEDs last much, much longer. They have about the same energy efficiency, however.
- Depending on the bulb and what you’re using the bulb for one bulb may make more sense than the other.
Watch out Ireland, Germany is getting very green: Green energy use in Germany passes 20 percent of total power mix (Yale Environment 360)
- Germany is aiming to produce 35 percent of its electricity from renewable sources by 2020.
China, US and India add the most wind power in 2011 (Treehugger)
- “In total for the first half of 2011 all nations added an additional 18.4 GW of new wind power, with the year expected to end with there being 43.9 GW completed. The world’s total installed wind power capacity by mid-year was 215 GW.As a point of comparison, by the end of 2010 there was 196.68 GW of wind power; by the end of 2009 there was 159.77 GW.”
Geothermal plant supplies about 20 percent of Hawaii’s electricity (Clean Tchnica)
- This amount of geothermal power has eliminated the need to buy and burn about 144,000 barrels of oil a year.
124,000 fish suffocate to death in single Texas lake due to extreme heat (Treehugger)
- “As Texas continues to suffer from the worst one-year drought on record along with scorchingly high temperatures, area lakes might seem like the best places to find refuge from the heat, but apparently not for fish. According to state wildlife officials, in one lake alone some 124,000 fish perished last week in the extreme weather conditions, not from a lack of water, but from a lack of oxygen — an oft overlooked consequence of rising temperatures which may become more common as heat-spells grow more intense and prolonged.”